Week 15; Art Gallery Visit
Untitled (After Malevich and Schiele), from the 1917 exhibition, Nature
Morte Gallery, New York
(1984)
279x356mm
Drawing
Sherrie Levine
Untitled (After Malevich and Schiele), from the 1917 exhibition, Nature Morte Gallery, New York
(1984)
279x356mm
Drawing
Egon Schiele
Self-Portrait with Striped Shirt
1910
305x443cm(without frame)
I selected these works as inspiration for my own self-portrait because I love Egon Schiele's style. I was once told by one of my drawing professors that my own emulated that of Schiele's and that really intrigued me. Ultimately the hardest thing in creating a self-portrait is the fact that I have to stare at myself. In staring at yourself for long amounts of time it creates this very surreal affect on your psyche. I begin to think "do I actually look like this?" I always have problems with proportion as well so it is something I try to work on. However I feel as though I am a very abstract worker so it is not something I entirely put a lot of stress on if I am trying to work more conceptually. I think in drawing myself I try to represent my feelings in the moment, perhaps presented in the way my head is positioned or the way my eyes are. I like working on self-portraits. I feel as though they never come out exactly looking like myself, which raises a new question as to whether I see myself the way others do. I used variations in line quality to help with this as well as minimal value. I ultimately wanted to make my portrait very sketch-like.





Comments
Post a Comment