Module 11: Blog Review

Dada Surrealism:

I chose this video because on of my favorite artists is Marcel Duchamp.  I also had read a book by Jung which discussed the connection between the subconscious and art in specific reference to the dada movement so it is something that interested me.  The video examined the different approaches to the dada movement from different artists' approach.  I really enjoyed the artist George Grosz and his ideology when it came to art.  It was interesting that he disagreed with the involvement with artists in politics and then eventually began creating artwork that was a political response.  The surrealism part of the video was also interesting in how it described the interest of the human mind.  It made me think of when I went to the Dali museum in Florida last summer and seeing the strange paintings there.  However I really enjoy surrealism because it is this mix of a skewed perception of reality through the mind in a real space almost.

Matisse and Picasso:

I chose this video because I have always been interested in Picasso since I took themes and issues in contemporary art.  To be honest I did not know a whole lot about Matisse so it was nice that I got to learn about him.  I thought it was very interesting that these were seemingly different personalities creating similar artwork and having similar intellect.  Perhaps a collective conscious.  It is funny to think how they were game changers in the art world and now you would not even think that it is something completely different due to their impact on art. 

Both of the videos related to the text in a way that they recognized specific artists and their contributions to making a major change and impact on the movements they were creating in exploring their style of artwork.  The videos were more informational in that they were more specific to the artist's life, whereas the text was more about their style of art. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Albright Knox Visit